01spooky130

 

 

 

 

Affected Dog Foods & death from Diamond Pet Foods.

 

These Dog food brands were taken off the shelves except for Walmart who didn't care and left them on the shelves anyway.

Hills Prescription Dog Food Gravy was quietly recalled from Vets offices.

 

   1. Americas Choice, Preferred Pets
   2. Authority
   3. Award
   4. Best Choice
   5. Big Bet
   6. Big Red
   7. Bloom
   8. Wegmans Bruiser
   9. Cadillac
  10. Companion
  11. Diamond Pet Foods.
  11. Demoulas Market Basket
  12. Eukanuba
  13. Food Lion
  14. Giant Companion
  15. Great Choice
  16. Hannaford
  17. Hill Country Fare
  18. Hy-Vee
  19. Iams
  20. Laura Lynn
  21. Loving Meals
  22. Meijers Main Choice
  23. Mighty Dog Pouch
  24. Mixables
  25. Nutriplan
  26. Nutro Max
  27. Nutro Natural Choice
  28. Nutro Ultra
  29. Nutro
  30. Ol'Roy Canada
  31. Ol'Roy US
  32. Paws
  33. Pet Essentials
  34. Pet Pride - Good n Meaty
  35. Presidents Choice
  36. Price Chopper
  37. Priority Canada
  38. Priority US
  39. Publix
  40. Roche Brothers
  41. Save-A-Lot
  42. Schnucks
  43. Shep Dog
  44. Springsfield Prize
  45. Sprout
  46. Stater Brothers
  47. Stop & Shop Companion
  48. Tops Companion
  49. Weis Total Pet
  50. Western Family US
  51. White Rose
  52. Winn Dixie
  53. Your Pet

The following is a news story about dogs who have died or gotten very sick from eating Diamond Pet Foods.

 

NBC News
Dog food recall
Jan. 9: The Food and Drug Administration reports that at least 76 dogs nationwide are believed to have died as a result of eating contaminated Diamond dog foods.

Shanika Stewart force-feeds strawberry-flavored Ensure through a syringe to her 9 year-old Chow "Cocoa" at her home at Fort Jackson in Columbia, S.C. The dog suffered permanent liver damage after being exposed to aflatoxin in a batch of Diamond dog food.

Dec. 22: With the number of homeless pets nearly doubled compared with last year, one 9-year-old decided to take action — and thanks to his Central Florida Animal Pantry, a lot of four-legged friends are no longer in need.

msnbc.com news services
updated 8:08 a.m. PT, Wed., May 10, 2006

COLUMBIA, S.C. - The U.S. Food and Drug Administration reports that at least 76 dogs nationwide are believed to have died as a result of eating contaminated Diamond dog foods.

The company has recalled 19 varieties of dog and cat food because tests showed high levels of aflatoxin, a naturally occurring toxic chemical that comes from a fungus found on corn and other grains that causes severe liver damage in animals.
 

The company recalled products manufactured at its Gaston, S.C., plant from around September to November 2005. Based on sample testing, Diamond has narrowed down the exposure to food produced on Oct. 11, Brinkmann said Thursday.

The FDA and the South Carolina Department of Agriculture have launched investigations.

Customers who have purchased the recalled Diamond dog food manufactured in the South Carolina plant should immediately stop using it and return any remaining product to their retailer, according to the FDA. 

The range of date codes being reviewed are "Best By 01-March-07" through Best By " 11-June-07".

FDA also has discovered that some of the recalled product was exported to at least 29 countries, including countries within the European Union. These countries have been notified

 

.

Diamond officials say they are doing what they can to help affected pet owners.

"It is going to take some time to take care of all these customers, and we're going to do it," said the company's chief operating officer, Mark Brinkmann.

Diamond has promised to reimburse pet owners for vet bills and other costs associated with the aflatoxin poisoning, which officials now believe may include pets in Europe and other areas outside the country where the food is distributed.

Related coverage
Complete list of states and brands affected by recall

The company set up a call center staffed with veterinarians. The call volume peaked at about 2,000 calls a day last week, Brinkmann said.

Shanika Stewart has been caring for her ailing 9-year-old chow, force-feeding the animal with a syringe six times a day since suffering permanent liver damage after eating contaminated dog food.

"I haven't had any time to do anything but take care of her," said Stewart, a 19-year-old nursing student at the University of South Carolina. "She's the No. 1 priority. ... I get maybe four hours of sleep before she wakes me up."

  Aflatoxin poisoning symptoms

Aflatoxin comes from a fungus found on corn and other crops and can cause severe liver damage in pets. If your pet shows any of these symptoms, contact your veterinarian immediately.
— Sluggishness
— Loss of appetite
— Jaundice (yellow whites of the eyes, gums, belly)
— Severe, persistent vomiting combined with bloody diarrhea
— Fever
Source: Food and Drug Administration
Through relocations from Army bases in Georgia, Oklahoma, Washington and now South Carolina, Cocoa has been a constant companion for Stewart, whose father is serving in Iraq.

When her own daughter died last year, Stewart said Cocoa helped her through her grief. "It was like she understood," Stewart said. "She was my best friend."

Severe liver damage
Stewart's other dog, a 2-year-old pit bull named Chulo, died last month just hours after being diagnosed with liver failure. It was only then that the family learned of the recall.

Stewart initially thought Cocoa had refused to eat because she was depressed about losing Chulo. After the recall, the family vet confirmed aflatoxin poisoning in Cocoa, Stewart said.

Steve Shrum, president of the South Carolina Association of Veterinarians, said vets around the state were confused when puppies began showing signs of liver problems usually seen in older dogs.

Click for related content
More dog deaths linked to toxic food, scientists say

"It takes such a small amount, and there's pretty much nothing you can do with the process that will inactivate that toxin once it gets in the food supply," he said.

Stewart says she has not spoken with anyone at the company despite several calls. The family has filled out an online form explaining their situation.

"You don't get anybody to talk to and tell your story," she said. "It is like they're not concerned. To me, it's like they're saying, 'Oh well, we'll get to it when we get to it."'

Brinkmann was sympathetic.

"We're going as fast as we can," he said. "I grieve with her, and I am going to do everything I can to make sure we can do right by her."
The Associated Press contributed to this report

 

 

Copyright 2000 - 2014 All rights reserved www.thelittlefoxes.net
Please Read

Any information contained on this site relating to various medical, health, and fitness conditions of Westies and their treatment is for informational purposes only and is not meant to be a substitute for the advice provided by your own veterinarian. You should not use the information contained herein for diagnosing dog allergies - you should always consult your own veterinarian.