Basic Formula for dog food
Dogs in the wild would eat meat first and the stomach contents of their prey. This is where they get their vegetables, vitamins and minerals.
The last thing a dog will eat is the skin of the animal. So why are you giving your dog raw hide bone chews? They are not good for your dog.
Here is the basic formula for dog food straight from a vet
- Protein - cooked or raw
- bone meal
- Omega 6
- Omega 3
- rice or potato
- digestive support
Dog allergy diet - easy version
CHOOSE ONE MEAT SOURCE TO ADD TO THE KIBBLE:
- 1/4 cup boneless chicken breast or thigh, ground up
- 1/2 large hard-boiled egg, chopped
- I do not recommend beef unless it is human grade and never use beef organ meats, especially the liver. Instead you can use chicken livers from free range chickens
- 1/4 cup cottage cheese
CHOOSE ONE STARCH SOURCE: Limit this is your dog is overweight
- 1/4 cups cooked potato chopped or mashed
- 1/4 cups cooked rice
- 1/4 cups rolled oats, cooked
- pureed veggie mix (up to 1/4 cup) cooked (carrots or any other vegetable your pet likes)
- 1/2 Tbs. olive oil, OR 1/2 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 Pet Tab per day or other vet recommended vitamin
So there you have it, my diet for Spooky . As I have said he is 17 pounds and built like a race horse. Very tall and very lean. Adjust this diet for the weight of your dog. Please get your vets OK before cooking for your dog.
REALLY EASY VERSION:
Buy hormone free, skinless breast meat.
- Cook the meat and chill
- Cook e rice from a source you trust. Avoid Canadian products
- Cook 1 bag of mixed vegetables and chill
- Add powdered bone meal, olive oil and dog vitamin tablets
- Chop the chicken
- Add the veggie mix, olive oil and bone meal, vitamins and chop slightly
- Mix all together
- Check your dog's portions so that he does not eat too much.
Click here for more free recipes
My dog weighs 18.8 pounds and stands 15 inches at the back. This recipe is good for 1 meal. If your dog is having digestive problems my vet advised many small meals throughout the day.
Try to find a good hypoallergenic kibble. Find one that does not have any corn or wheat or by products. It may take some time for America to wake up and realize that we won't stand for the junk that is coming out of China and other countries like Canada, whom I always thought were our good buddies.
The new kibble does not taste that good, according to Spooky. So I've come up with a way to persuade him to eat his special food and remain healthy.
My dogs love my recipes. When I start cooking the chicken ( If you work you can cook it in a crock pot) my dogs are circling my legs. They sure didn't circle the bags of kibble!
Remember each dog is different. Vary their diet with adding eggs or another type of meat. This is what works for him and he has finally gained some weight and is looking better than he ever did.
It takes time for the toxins to leave the dogs body after ingesting them for so long. We don't, at this point, really know how long our pets have been fed melamine, pesticides and other harmful ingredients. So hopefully you will see an improvement each month.
Allergies may plague your dog all his life but there are ways to combat it with homemade.
Possible symptoms/allergies to be alert to include lethargy, listlessness, vomiting, atopic dermititis, rashes, mange (not really caused by an allergy), signs of food allergies, infections such as yeast or fungal, and sensitivity to detergents.